With the likes of Marshall, Vox and Orange hogging the limelight, it’s hard to be noticed without doing something radical. Similar to Laney and Hiwatt, Hayden Amps is one of those British makers you see pop up every now and then, but they just doesn’t get as much press time as the popular kids. Kinda like Lindsay Lohan vs. Hilary Duff. All things being equal, things could change with the launch of the Hayden MoFo 30 watt Class A head.
Roughly disguised as a fan heater, the MoFo has four cascaded gain stages that combines plexi tones with smooth modern Metal sounds. Two independent UK or US voiced input jacks lets you change between classic British rock or high gain killer metal shred. Four EL84s are what’s needed.
The MoFo features Bass, Middle, and Treble, Presence, Gain and Master controls. The curious knob on the left however is the MoFo control (also footswitchable) used to set the level of signal boost to achieve overdriven lead tones. This isn’t your traditional Gain and Master set up. Notes just keep getting bigger and bigger. The MoFo is a gain and sustain volcano.
Hayden 112 Cabinet
Partner the MoFo head with a matching cabinet loaded with an Eminence EGTR-S1712-16, the 1 x 12" for creating a portable 'mini-rig'.
Also available is the Hayden Mini MoFo, similar in design but features 15 watts instead of 30.
Hayden MoFo Specifications
- MoFo - 30 Watts from 4 x EL84 valves
- Single channel with footswitchable MoFo mode for more gain (footswitch included).
- Stealth switch reduces overall volume for practice use
- 4 cascaded gain stages for classic clean tones through to full metal mayhem
- 8/16 Ohm speaker outputs for a variety of cabinet options
- Bass, middle, treble and presence controls
- Separate US and UK-voiced guitar inputs
- Series effects loop
- Rugged steel chassis
- Comes in a padded gigbag with shoulder strap
- Hand-wired in the UK
Back to The 21 Best Practice Amps